The Executive Director is the key management leader of Innovation Portal, a startup incubator and entrepreneurial center for Mobile, Alabama, and the central Gulf Coast. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the programs, strategic plan, and fundraising for the organization. Other key duties include building a sustainable team, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
ABOUT INNOVATION PORTAL
Innovation PortAL (IP) is a nonprofit innovation and entrepreneurial hub accelerating startup growth in Mobile, Alabama and the central Gulf Coast through targeted programming, funding opportunities, networking, and community events. Innovation Portal provides entrepreneurs access to expertise, resources, and funding to allow them to rapidly scale their ventures to regional, national and international markets.
Given that Innovation Portal is still in its early stage of its mission with our physical building opening in early 2020 and much of our programming yet to be launched, this position is an incredible opportunity for an innovative thinker to make a major impact within Alabama’s fastest growing economy through the development of a healthy startup and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading Innovation Portal in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Responsible for all logistics around board communication, including scheduling board meetings, preparing materials, and holding the sessions.
2) Fundraising and Financial Viability: Attracts, develops, and manages donors/resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Innovation Portal, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Innovation Portal’s mission, including the management of current supporters and the cultivation of new supporters.
- Fundraising: cultivate public and private donations (including grants) to reach our fundraising goals
- Donor communication and management: lead the efforts of managing current sources of funds
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Innovation Portal’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission – driving economic development through entrepreneurial and startup activities along the central Gulf Coast
- Drive the strategic planning process with key stakeholders to ensure that Innovation Portal can successfully fulfill its mission into the future
- Responsible for the enhancement of Innovation Portal’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization run effectively.
- Responsible effective administration of Innovation Portal operations.
- Building launch and management: IP is in process of opening a 30,000 sq/ft building to house innovation and entrepreneurs
- Programming: developing and managing robust programs to help entrepreneurs start and grow their businesses
- Funding: establish and lead the process for the Innovation Portal Seed Fund, which provides startup capital to qualified start-ups
- Responsible for building a high performing and sustainable team through the hiring, mentoring, and leading of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
For this unique and important role, Innovation Portal seeks a dynamic, highly credible, inspiring leader who is deeply committed to our mission, vision and legacy. This opportunity is a ground floor opportunity to build lasting impact in our region. The ideal candidate will possess the following professional and personal qualities:
- 10+ years professional experience; success in a non-profit environment preferred, but not necessary
- Bachelor’s degree; masters degree preferred
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and organizations, including senior level corporate, philanthropic, public sector representatives and community leaders; ability to inspire trust and to motivate staff and partners
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain philanthropic funding
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation; experience with program development and implementation
- Ability to establish a strategic planning process and manage resulting priorities, agendas, and programs effectively
- Demonstrated management experience, including staff development, financial management and office administration; solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments
Commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Quality benefits package includes health and PTO. Email cover letter and resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org