Content & Social Marketing Internship
About Innovation Portal
Innovation Portal (Portal) is a nonprofit incubator and innovation hub accelerating startup growth in southwest Alabama and the Gulf Coast. Portal provides a growth-focused space and community for entrepreneurs, innovators, and creatives to connect. In addition to amazing workspace, we provide targeted programming to encourage successful launch, development, and scaling of local ventures.
We are building a diverse, inclusive, and dynamic startup ecosystem and value our strategic partnerships with community organizations and leaders. We design services, programs, and activities to build community and support founders and their successful advancement through the startup lifecycle.
We are a small, impact-driven team cultivating economic development, diversity, and health in the region.
About the Internship
This position will help strengthen and carry Innovation Portal’s voice by creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to the Portal community through various channels. The intern will work closely with Portal staff, especially the Membership + Marketing Manager (MMM) to achieve her/his responsibilities.
This internship requires creativity, exploration and discovery, and flawless writing skills. The intern must be able to work well with Portal’s various constituents and greater community, demonstrating respect and always representing the organization with the utmost integrity.
– Content Marketing
- Work with MMM to carry out a content marketing strategy by determining the most appropriate content channels and types, identifying and allocating resources, creating a schedule, and tracking success metrics.
- Work with MMM to build marketing projects and campaigns.
- Conduct thorough research and interviews to become familiar with startups, startup topics and resources, and local startups.
- Create and distribute consistent content that is valuable and relevant to startup founders and Portal’s greater community.
- Track and report impact and efficacy, make recommendations to improve.
- Develop content for Portal’s newsletter through MailChimp.
- Grab photos, stories, experiences of members that we can celebrate via newsletter, social, membership collateral, etc.
- Become knowledgeable with Portal’s brand messaging and tone of voice
- Write clear, compelling copy for various mediums (e.g. social, ads, website, blog posts, newsletters)
- Collaborate with MMM on large- and small-scale marketing projects
- Edit and proofread copy as needed
- Use SEO principles to maximize copy’s reach
- Source images and other content
– Social Media
- Work closely with the MMM to define, plan, and coordinate a comprehensive social media strategy
- Draft posts and announcements
- Coordinate and schedule posts
- Respond to inquiries
– Admin, Operations, & Advancement
- Determine schedule and attend regular meetings with MMM
- Contribute to organizational activities and events as needed
- File management and upkeep (Google Drive)
- Assist with 358STL member and facility management
- Record and track various data and performance metrics
- Record activities for impact, fundraising, etc
*Specific responsibilities may adjust contingent upon intern’s strengths and interests, and/or organizational growth and needs.
- Incredibly high level of interest in innovation, entrepreneurship, and supporting startup founders and teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people; strong record of teamwork
- Strong organizational abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Strong research skills
- Knowledge of online content strategy and creation preferred
- Experience with SEO preferred