About Innovation Portal: Innovation Portal (Portal) is a nonprofit incubator and innovation hub accelerating startup growth in Southwest Alabama and the central Gulf Coast. Portal provides a growth-focused space and community for entrepreneurs, innovators, and creatives to work and connect. The flexible workspace provides a variety of membership types with dedicated offices, coworking, commercial space, and meeting rooms. In addition to amazing workspace, we provide targeted programming to encourage successful launch, development, and scaling of local ventures.
About the Position: This position will help strengthen and carry Innovation Portal’s voice by creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to the Portal community through various channels. This position is responsible for overseeing the development and execution of marketing initiatives for Portal that spotlight members, founders, and other Portal VIPs, while promoting membership, programs, Portal Fund, and other key initiatives of the organization.
This Exempt position is full time and reports directly to the Executive Director (ED). Typical work hours are in-office from 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM, but may vary depending on activities and priorities, including some after-hours and weekend work. This employee will be provided with a dedicated office at Innovation Portal and is expected to work mostly in-office. Some remote work may be scheduled in advance when approved by the ED.
General Communications + Marketing: Develop and execute a cohesive marketing strategy and manage Portal communications across relevant tools and mediums
- Become knowledgeable with Portal’s brand messaging and tone of voice
- Develop comprehensive marketing plan with specific campaigns for the year
- Identify, define, and develop digital and outreach campaigns for programs, fundraising, Portal Fund, membership, etc.; determine and maintain campaign sprint timelines and budgets
- Manage digital marketing campaigns including paid search and social media advertising
- Curate content for, draft, and distribute newsletter & oversee contact database in MailChimp
- Complete regular analysis to evaluate and adjust for efficacy and optimization
- Manage Portal’s website: update website and create new pages as necessary
- Maintain general Portal overview presentation slide deck – update annually; create board meeting and other presentation slide decks as needed
- Work with ED to develop initiatives as determined by the Board and/or Advancement Committee
Design and Collateral Creation: Complete miscellaneous design tasks for the organization, such as social media posts, one-page summaries, startup resource summaries, and other print and digital collateral
- Create materials as needed to market programs, membership, Portal Fund, and other Portal priorities
- Create materials, one-pagers, and tools to be utilized by Programs for founders
- Maintain packets of Portal marketing materials for key partners and donors
- Create donor memos and packets as needed annually and for specific capital campaigns
- Update existing marketing materials as appropriate (at least annually)
- Create founder and member feature cards to distribute digitally across multiple mediums
- Create scheduled materials: annual report (annually), donor report (quarterly), board report (monthly), investee reports (quarterly & annually), etc.
- Create various impact and update reports
Media Relations: maintain and cultivate relationships with media and communication partners
- Create and distribute press releases on behalf of Portal, the founders we serve, and Portal members
- Maintain media relations and contact database, to include communication leads at partner organizations
- Perform interviews and other media spotlights as requested by media contacts
Content Marketing: Develop content to engage Portal’s varied audiences, position Portal as the go-to startup resource, and share information to help connect and inform the community
- Develop and implement content marketing strategy by determining the most appropriate content channels and types, identifying and allocating resources, creating a schedule, and tracking success metrics
- Conduct thorough research and interviews to become familiar with startups, startup topics and resources, and local startups.
- Create and distribute consistent content that is valuable and relevant to startup founders and Portal’s greater community; Write clear, compelling copy for various mediums (social, ads, website, blog posts, newsletters); Use SEO principles to maximize copy’s reach; Edit and proofread
- Capture + produce photos, videos, stories, member and founder experiences
- Source images and other content to enhance Portal-developed content
Social Media Management: Define, plan, and coordinate a comprehensive social media strategy
- Design and generate copy, images, and video for posts and announcements featuring members, founders, and other Portal VIPs and promoting membership, programs, portal Fund, and other key initiatives.
- Curate additional content and imagery to enhance Portal-developed content
- Coordinate and schedule posts
- Ensure donors and partners are appropriately tagged in posts
*Specific responsibilities may adjust contingent upon employee strengths and interests, and/or organizational growth and needs.
- At least 3-years’ experience in a professional setting
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Familiarity with digital marketing and social media
- Design and material creation, must demonstrate basic graphic design skills
- Familiarity with digital marketing and social media; experience managing corporate social media campaigns
- Experience with written content generation
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong research skills
- Track record of success accomplishing high-quality results with minimal supervision
- Incredibly high level of interest in being part of a startup, helping startups, and entrepreneurship
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people; strong record of teamwork
- Strong organizational abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments
- Displays a high-level of ethics, empathy, and dependability
- Preferred: knowledge of online content strategy and creation
- Preferred: experience with SEO
- Preferred: experience with Google Workplace, Slack, Salesforce, Calendly, Mailchimp, WordPress, Adobe Suite, and/or Hootsuite
What we offer: Innovation Portal offers a complete compensation package including salary, performance bonus, professional development allowance, and robust benefits package including health, dental, and vision, 401(k) with employer match, and paid vacation time. On top of a competitive salary package, you’ll enjoy:
- Working on a team with hard driving, impact inducing, do what it takes to get it done pros
- A bright, inspiring, and one-of-a-kind work environment
- Training and development opportunities
Salary range is $35,000 – 40,000.