The Program Coordinator (PC) is responsible for developing and executing high-quality Portal programs, which support the growth of startup ventures, Portal memberships, and the greater innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem. Programs include mentoring, courses, workshops, speaker series, lunch and learns, happy hours, startup-specific events, etc.
The PC shall be exceptionally organized and driven to get things done efficiently and effectively. S/he will have a growth mindset, take initiative, and will actively look for opportunities to enhance the organization’s impact. The PC must be able to work well with Portal’s various constituents, demonstrating respect and always representing the organization with the utmost integrity. The PC will be reliable and agreeable, with the ability to organize, create, and deliver.
The position is full time, reports directly to the Executive Director (ED), and is classified as Exempt.
ABOUT INNOVATION PORTAL
Innovation Portal (Portal) is a nonprofit incubator and innovation hub accelerating startup growth in southwest Alabama and the Gulf Coast. Portal provides a growth-focused space and community for entrepreneurs, innovators, and creatives to connect. In addition to amazing workspace, we provide targeted programming to encourage successful launch, development, and scaling of local ventures.
We are building a diverse, inclusive, and dynamic startup ecosystem and value our strategic partnerships with community organizations and leaders. We design services, programs, and activities to build community and to support founders as they advance through the startup lifecycle.
We are a small, impact-driven team cultivating economic development, diversity, and health in the region.
Research and Development:
- Update and distribute bi-annual Startup survey, collect and analyze data for program recommendations and priorities
- Keep apprised of local founder needs; research and develop value-added, relevant programming
- Conduct participant surveys and other assessments for relevancy and efficacy of executed programs
- Research programs offered in other incubators, accelerators, coworking spaces, and startup ecosystems and make recommendations for development
- Research programs that encourage workforce development relevant to startup organizations and make recommendations for development
- Work with ED to design new programs based on founder demand and need; to encourage community engagement and connection; to develop the local workforce
Planning & Coordination:
- Work with ED and Board Chair to define annual strategic goals and execution plans
- Work with ED to create and maintain annual calendar of programs, events, and activities; work within specified budget
- Conduct planning meetings with ED to determine purpose, success metrics, details, timelines, and action items
- Schedule with the necessary parties: partners, speakers, volunteers, founders, staff, etc
- Work with marketing to develop and execute outreach and promotion media plans, announcements, and collateral
- Coordinate logistical needs, scheduling, and venue setup; attend, coordinate, and execute program
- Conduct annual “census” of mentor and subject matter assets available for mentoring, speaking, and support
- Act as the main point of contact for mentors, subject matter experts (SMEs), pro-bono service providers/donors, speakers, and other volunteers; maintain regular, responsive, and appropriate communication; provide program/day of support; consistently cultivate these relationships and keep engaged
- Help with defining, recruiting, scheduling, training, and cultivating a base of volunteers
- Recruit and place mentors, SMEs, in-kind service providers, and speakers
- In close collaboration with the ED, manage all aspects of the mentoring programs: scheduling, communications with mentees and mentors, intake meetings, evaluations, network coordination, and recording, tracking, and reporting
Network & Ecosystem Coordination/Growth:
- Work with ED to assess the ecosystem and support initiatives to strengthen it; network and connect with various community partners to build and bridge the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Work with community partners to develop and execute programs including RAMP, I-Corps, and Startup Weekend
- Conduct outreach and develop activities to engage rural, minority, and under-represented communities
- Develop and maintain collaborative and supportive relationships with our various stakeholders, contributors, and partners
Portal Fund Application Coordination:
- Keep application updated and consistently review application pipeline; report out metrics
- Coordinate and communicate with applicants throughout evaluation process
- Assess applications for completion and general qualification; conduct initial due diligence of qualified applicants
- Coordinate and place mentors for investees; collect and report progress throughout engagement
- Track application, evaluation, and selection process; rack, record, and report on investee engagement and growth; develop impact reporting
Admin, Operations & Advancement:
- Attend weekly staff meetings; actively participate in weekly 1:1 meeting with ED
- Contribute to organizational events
- Promote a positive work culture
- Promote the Portal brand by attending, hosting, and facilitating community events and space rentals
- Google Drive, CRM, and various database and tracking document upkeep; reporting
- Assist with 358STL member and facility management
- Develop program materials including presentation decks, handouts, print, signage, surveys, etc.
- Record and track various data and performance metrics
- Monitor supplies inventory and make suggestions for replenishment as needed
- Develop and present founder reports
- Help select, train, and manage interns
- Record activities for startups engagement, impact, fundraising, etc and run reports for trend analysis, grant proposals and reports, and collateral, as needed
*Specific responsibilities may adjust contingent upon employee strengths and interests, and/or organizational growth and needs.
- At least 1-year of experience in a professional setting
- A bachelor’s degree
- Track record of success accomplishing tasks with minimal supervision, producing high-quality results
- Incredibly high level of interest in innovation, entrepreneurship, and supporting startup founders and teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people; strong record of teamwork
- Strong organizational abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience speaking publicly in diverse forums
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments
Compensation & Advancement:
- IP offers a complete compensation package including salary, performance bonus, professional development allowance, and robust benefits package including health, dental, and vision, 401(k) with employer match, and paid vacation time. Salary will be determined by experience and other qualifications.
- Opportunities for promotion and advancement will be considered as employee demonstrates exceptional performance, growth, and readiness.
*Position will be hired mid-September.